Friday, February 19, 2010

The Day Well Spent..

There's something to be said for staying in place.

When you're stationary you begin to realize what is important in your life. What really matters. And who matters even more.

Let it be known that I have really amazing friends. I know that everyone has at least one or two people they'd surely take a bullet for, but seriously...I have many that I'd lie down in traffic for...and I used to think that maybe it was my loyalty that brought this school of thought. As if this decision for friendship martyrdom solely relied upon me. While I was never quite sure that my friends wouldn't do the same for me mostly because they had never mentioned it--and I was rather happy with that assumption, to be honest--although, I believe I am the only one who would be morbid enough to protect my friends as if they were a President of the United States of Shea. I know it's weird. I never said that my ramblings made sense....just go along with it. I can honestly say that I have never truly been "in love" but I have experienced the love of friends that is so powerful it could jumpstart a heart--God knows it has done so to my own many times.

Today was a rather impromptu day--but the best days are.

I had planned on being at school in the morning to talk to some Freshmen about The Writing Center--give a brief presentation upon what we do at the Center and encourage the students to come see us. After my second class of this, I went to Loopy with my best friend Jess. We ended up getting lunch and while I knew I should have gone home to do some much needed housework, I chose to go with her to her new apartment and help her paint her bathroom. We talked, laughed, listened to Regina Spektor, and painted her bathroom this icy blue color...or at least that is what we thought was supposed to be the color...it was less icy than we thought. :)
When Jess's husband, Jeremy, came home, we went to Ikea, had dinner, and picked up new bookshelves, a curtain rod, curtains, and a palm tree named "Palmy." I got home about a forty-five minutes ago and I am just basking in the day well spent.

Life is but a series of impromptu moments. How will you answer?

2 comments:

  1. I will answer that I am a citizen of the United States of Shea. (Does this mean I can run for Secretery of the Interior?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! In fact, I encourage it. I will also grant you permission to sing at all inaugurations...especially if you wear the Aretha Franklin hat!

    ReplyDelete