Sunday, April 24, 2011

Letting the Giant Free

So V-Day is officially done. We had our final meet-up (Cast and Crew Picnic) this weekend and I am all aflutter with mixed emotions. On the one hand, I am so glad to be done with V-Day. It was an amazing experience and I am still in awe that we raised 20 million won for KUMFA. I feel so incredibly blessed to have met some truly amazing and inspiriting people along this journey and now that it is over, we can resume our daily lives--but still take some time to meet up. Aaaand on the other proverbial hand, I am soooooo without a purpose right now. Kat said that usually people get homesick around the 3 month mark and here I am, almost 5 months into my stint in Korea and I am just NOW feeling the effects of said homesickness. I suppose I miss the weather in Chicago (although, I have been hearing nasty words like "SNOW" and "APRIL" and it makes me happy that I am not there). And of course, I miss the people. Jess is graduating and I won't be there to scream for her. I miss my niece and nephews. It's lonely in the future, Dear Readers. I've even entertained the idea of getting an animal to help me cope with the lack of connection that is in my room.
I just need to get out more. I need to get out and see Seoul. Get lost on the subway and take pictures. I enjoy doing that kinda stuff with other people--it's time that I start doing it on my onesy. I also need to get lost in a few good books. I have recently acquired many new books so I will be reading a lot more--this of course, makes me quite giddy. And I also need to sit down and start writing again. I have only written one poem since I've been here. One. Ugh. I need to get motivated. I miss taking my writers group class because I was forced to write each week. Now it's like a holiday--I write when I feel like it. I need to put myself on a strict schedule. I need discipline. I need another cup of coffee...

I've been going through this "what am I supposed to do with my life" phase and when I came across Hunter College's MFA program on my bookmark history--I felt this awakening within myself. This giant is yawning and wants to stretch her limbs--I'm not sure why I nearly had her drawn and quartered. Maybe because I was afraid of her. Afraid of the impact and tremors that I would feel if she fell. Afraid of how tall she would be I allowed her to stand up straight. What would the air be like, way up there? My only answer is to help her up, let her stand and let her be. If she gets taken out with an editorial slingshot, she should get back up and start again.

But I digress.

1 comment:

  1. I know that I keep saying the same two damn things over and over, but I'm going to say it again - I miss you and I'm so damn proud of you.

    ReplyDelete