Monday, April 7, 2014

Oh, Hey! How's it going?


I've started a journey.

That's usually what people say when they are beginning something new. "Starting" a "Journey." Maybe it's because we want to put an emphasis on closing a part in our lives. Taking a new path. Moving forward.

Weren't we already on a journey? Starting a journey means that we weren't on one before. Just because you've felt stagnant doesn't mean you weren't already on a route. Maybe you were just on the wrong path.

And I was.

I've done some pretty unhealthy things in the past few years but this year I decided no more. I turned my back on that road because I have seen what lies ahead. And I couldn't keep lying to myself about it.

My biggest changes? I stopped smoking and I crossed over from my boot camp regiment to CrossFit. I was happy doing boot camp and I surely loved the coaches and people in the class. So why the switch? I needed something more. I needed something that was going to scare the bajeezus out of me. It was something that I always thought about doing but was so intimidated by, so I locked up that little dream in a box and placed it on the unattainable dream shelf.

Over the Christmas holiday break, I got a message from Kat (one of my best friends and also the most amazing CrossFit coach you will ever be inspired by) and basically said that it was time for me to make the switch. The box in which I tucked that dream away began to rattle.

Finally, when I came back to the gym after a long time away, a friend and fellow CrossFitter said,"You're signing up for On Ramp." On Ramp is the 9 class course you must take in order to be a part of the CrossFit class. The box suddenly power dove to the ground, breaking the "unattainable dreams" box forever.

So I took the bait. I drank the kool aid. And here I am. Five weeks into CrossFit. And I've never felt happier.

So...how have you been?

No comments:

Post a Comment