Monday, October 12, 2009

Elizabeth's Song

For the past five years I have teetered back and forth from wanting to be a writer to wanting to be a singer. As it stands, I am not musically inclined with the exception of my voice. I have a very good voice and I love to sing. Last year my friend Ryan asked me to sing for his band/project called Sunday Mourning Call and while my friends all told me not to get my hopes up, I did--I was getting my chance to sing. Well Ryan and I got busy doing other things and that was that.
A couple of weeks ago, he text messaged me saying that he had something he wanted to work on with me. I was intrigued, to say the least. And I laughed a little--because every time I set my course starboard side, something was always pulling me to port. I had come to grips that all I really want to do is get my MFA (after my time at Roosevelt, of course) and teach writing while perfecting the craft myself. And here it was again--the zany idea of singing, fluttering like a butterfly in front of my face. So I played along and followed the white rabbit down the hole.

Ryan and I made plans and met up to work on a song he'd written. I was so elated to be singing until I found out the reason why we were combining our efforts on this project. He had written a song for his co-worker. Actually, for his co-worker's daughter, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was born in a troubled state--amongst other health problems, she has a severe case of Cerebral Palsy and it broke Ryan's heart to not be able to say more than a "sorry" to her mother. Elizabeth is still in the hospital and her family (mom, dad and older sister) are staying in a Ronald McDonald house so that they can stay near to little Elizabeth.
I was completely humbled by her parents strength and Ryan's compassion for his friend and her family.
Ryan and I recorded a rough demo of the song and it's now up on the band's myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/sundaymourningcall

If you take a listen to "Elizabeth's Song," you'll also see another song I sang on with Ryan called "Heaven Knows I'm Afraid." Let us know what you think of them--but be advised that little Elizabeth's song is not completely finished--we have more lyrics we're going to put on it and we have to fix some sharp notes as well :)

I don't normally promote myself so shamelessly, but there's always a first for everything!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment