Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Search for Real Women

What is a "Real Woman?" No, really. It's not rhetorical--I really would like to know.

The question reminds me of a scene from The Cohen Brother's movie, "The Big Lebowski" when Mr. Lebowski asks The Dude "What makes a Man?"

The Big Lebowski: What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?
The Dude: Dude.
The Big Lebowski: Huh?
The Dude: Uhh... I don't know sir.
The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
The Dude: Hmmm... Sure, that and a pair of testicles.

All joking aside.

On Monday I was waiting to meet with a professor and I happened to be looking at the bulletin board outside of her office when something caught my eye. I saw an casting call for Dove's "Real Women" campaign and I thought, "Wow! How cool!" Then I started to read it.

It said that it was looking for "Real Women. 25-32 years old. Thin (under size 10)and naturally attractive." They also mentioned that they were only looking for women who were Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, or a mixture of these. While they were looking for all types of hair (textures and colors), the ad also said they wanted healthy hair that they could "improve." They stressed they wanted "REAL WOMEN" not "aspiring models." So is that what makes a real woman?

Up until this point I had been really proud of Dove and it's sense of urgency to represent all women--not just the models. We've all seen these commercials:


or even this one:



I understand the importance of these ads. I really do. And I agree with most of the Dove Films I've seen but seeing this casting call--it really makes me feel like it's all a lie---all of the girls portrayed are "normal." Some talk about how the girls feel that they can't be themselves or no one will talk to them because they are "fat" (apparently one was anorexic and suddenly gained friends after she dropped some weight--though no pictures are shown of her being fat). I just don't believe it anymore. It's not real. I'm not saying they aren't real young women. I am saying that there are real women who don't fit into that stupid casting call advertisement. Being a woman has nothing to do with your size, nothing to do with your looks, nothing to do with your race.

So what does make a real woman? Something more than Dove has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment