Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Respect



Let's take a moment, how ever brief, to consider the human body. Or what you think you know about the human body.

Ok. That's long enough.

You probably thought of a healthy human body--or maybe you didn't. And perhaps you thought of the most beautiful kinds of bodies. Maybe your imagination ventured off to a medical text book with velum overlays of skeletal structures, nervous systems, and muscles. Then again, maybe it was a sketch you did in your period three art class in high school.

How many thought of the limitations the human body can have? What kind of limitations? Well, that all depends on the individual.

I know my own limitations, and I do try to push beyond them by hitting the gym. So this year, when I was given the opportunity to see some amazing athletes and dancers at R16, you better believe I was all about it. R16 Korea took place on July 13th and 14th at Olympic Hall in Seoul.

This is my second year witnessing the awesome power that encompasses R16 Korea. Last year was completely mind blowing, so I knew that this year would be no exception. Foreigners and nationals alike braved the battling rain (hello Monsoon Season...) and were able to become part of a movement that has certainly taken the world by force.

Unfortunately, my camera's memory card has malfunctioned and I cannot seem to upload any of my pictures from the actual event. My friend John did happen to take some pretty amazing shots on the second day (especially one random picture of Jay Park at the after party at Club Able in Itaewon).

So let me break it down for you.

Salah, the world famous popper was there as a judge and he performed during the second day. Jinjo, the winners of last year's best performance award served as an amazing opening act to Leessang's "Hard to be Humble."

There were some amazing individual performances on Day one--most notably that of Bboy Blond, a Korean native who now reps for SKB, an Australian crew.

When the judges came out to oversee the poppin competition...well...that was one of the highlights for me.



But the real story is about the winners: Korea's Morning of Owl. When they came out as the last crew in the showcases, I saw so much beauty and art being put forth into their style of dancing. They are so very light on their feet and while other crews are battling in the old school style, there is no way that any crew can compare in their quickness. I was worried each time Japan stepped up to battle, the same way I get nervous when the Yankees play my beloved Red Sox. You know they are good. And there is a lot of pride on the line, even though I am a foreigner living in Korea. You want Korea to win. Whether it's soccer, Dokdo, or a bboy competition.

But Korea brought it. They gave respect and it was given to them in turn.


So if you're ever in Korea, visiting me, or just coming out on your own, you need to check out this scene. It's thriving, much like this peninsula. Korea really is an amazing place to live, work, and above all, enjoy your life.


Respect.

c

No comments:

Post a Comment